“2018 Fintech100 – Leading Global Fintech Innovators” is an annual report of KPMG and H2 Ventures, comprising a list of the year’s best fintech innovators from around the world.
The Fintech Innovators are divided in two categories: the ‘Top 50’ established fintech firms around the globe, which are assessed according to innovation, capital raising, activity, size and country; the ‘Emerging 50’ firms, which are newly established firms characterized by a strong innovation character.
Among the main highlights, the report points out that:
- Fintech capital investments raised considerably over 2018. The ‘Top 50’ companies raised US$50B in aggregate capital over their lifetimes while the “Emerging 50” almost US$2B since their founding.
- Four of the first 10 fintech innovators are Chinese. 2018 has seen an expansion in the offering of Chinese fintech giants such as Alibaba, JD.com, Yu’e Bao platform etc.
- Neo-banks are worth to be monitored as they have leapfrogged over traditional infrastructure and moved faster with product innovation and customer acquisition.
- Insurtech companies hold 12 spots in the list as transformational technology and changing consumer lifestyles are leading to usage-based, on-demand and peer-to-peer models that are reimagining the way insurance is both offered and consumed.
- Initial Coin Offering proved to be a suitable alternative to traditional capital raising. As a matter of fact 12 companies in the list raised capital via an Initial Coin Offering totalling $729M.
To get more insights, please download the report here.